Built upon the pillars of preservation, education, and advocacy, Historic Columbia is a local non-profit organization that preserves places and shares complex stories from the past that connect us in the present and inspire our future.
Historic Columbia is looking for an exceptional leader to serve as the Director of Operations to help ensure success at the premiere local history organization in Columbia and Richland County. This position will organize and oversee the daily operations of our organization, ensuring that our business is well-coordinated and productive by managing its procedures and coaching its people.
Yearly Salary Range: $60,000 – $85,000
The Director of Operations will be accountable for strategic efforts and their execution including, but not limited to:
- Implementing and executing plans to complement the organization’s strategic and operating plan; champion the execution of tactical initiatives within the organization’s model to maximize internal and external partner experience, growth, and durability.
- Playing a key role in the recruiting, selecting, developing, and retaining appropriate skill depth level of departments across Historic Columbia through personnel management.
- Establishing quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, and standards by which the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated; identify opportunities for improvement.
- Managing and coordinating the day-to-day administrative operations of the organization.
- Overseeing the teams who are responsible for the physical maintenance of six historic buildings and 14 acres of curated landscapes.
- Managing vendor relationships and contracts, including negotiating contract renewals, and researching potential new vendors and external partnerships.
- Identifying and implementing opportunities for continuous improvement of operations systems and processes as our organization continues to work towards its mission.
- Planning, directing, controlling, evaluating, monitoring, and forecasting budgets throughout the organization to achieve financial objectives.
- Overseeing special projects as needed and collaborating with internal and external partners in activities related to the overall achievement of organization-wide goals.
- Coordinating staff schedules, training, and onboarding.
- Building and maintaining relationships with all department heads, external partners, and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
You utilize your excellent communication skills to build a bridge between all departments within an organization, to ensure growth progress is being made continuously. You are a goal-oriented professional that ensures all contributing aspects of organizational success are developed, implemented, sustained, and re-evaluated regularly. You have a passion for and strong interest in local history, and a dedication to offering exemplary customer service with all collaborating partners of the organization. You embrace your role as an inclusive leader and enjoy working together with a team.
ORGANIZATION BENEFITS AND PERKS:
We work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone at Historic Columbia (HC) to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We offer a variety of growth and professional development opportunities, a welcoming environment, and family-friendly benefits for our team members.
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Medical Insurance
- Retirement Planning
- Competitive Compensation
- Parental Leave
- Support for Community Involvement
- Paid Holidays
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Project Management, Systems, or a related field is required.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of senior leadership experience in a related field. Non-profit experience preferred.
- Must have 2-4 years of previous operational management experience.
- Superior knowledge of multiple operational functions and principles, including finance, customer service, employee management, facilities management, and goal-achievement.
- Demonstrated business acumen, strategic thinking, and an ability to execute against formulated strategy.
- Extremely proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks. Experience with Blackbaud’s Altru and Monday.com project management systems a plus.
- Excellent organizational and diplomacy skills, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change initiatives.
- Exhibited process and results-oriented mindset in setting and pursuing organizational goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success, and marshalling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical, critical thinking, and decision-making skills.
- Creative thinker who challenges conventional solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, aptitude for working with a wide range of individuals, and strong collaborative teamwork skills.
To apply, please send cover letter and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. The posting will remain open until the successful candidate is found.
Historic Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains compliance with all federal, state, and local laws.