Built upon the pillars of preservation, education, and advocacy, Historic Columbia is a local non-profit organization that preserves places and shares complex stories from the past that connect us in the present and inspire our future.
Historic Columbia is looking for an exceptional leader to serve as the Director of Outreach and Engagement to help shape community access to local history in Columbia and Richland County. The person in this position will lead a team that develops and implements all outward facing activities and communications of this dynamic, community-based organization. Additionally, this person will provide leadership for key processes including, but not limited to, stakeholder engagement, evaluation, data reporting, and analysis.
Yearly Salary Range: $60,000 – $85,000
The Director of Outreach and Engagement will be accountable for strategic efforts and their execution including, but not limited to:
- Overseeing the lifecycle of all engagement and outreach initiatives, from creative planning to successful delivery and comprehensive evaluation.
- Supervising a dynamic research and interpretation team to oversee the development of high-quality content for internal and external exhibits, tours, programs, and communications.
- Managing a talented team of educators who engage youth and students and teachers in standards-based and hands-on learning.
- Overseeing the creation, implementation, and evaluation of a robust annual program and outreach initiatives, including in-person, virtual, and hybrid events.
- Supervising a creative marketing team to develop comprehensive, high-impact, communications strategies to reach a variety of audiences and reinforces a greater understanding of HC’s mission and identity.
- Along with team members, creating and implementing annual organizational goals to deepen engagement within the community, and increasing and/or improving opportunities for further participation with HC and its programs.
- Working with the visitor services team to ensure that all individuals and groups that engage with HC are treated equitably and enjoy a transformative experience.
- Developing and implementing outreach strategies to maintain current and develop new community partnerships.
- Continually evaluating the operation of team/function to ensure on-going effectiveness and impact of Historic Columbia’s outreach and engagement efforts.
- Collecting, analyzing, and reporting engagement data.
- Leveraging multiple partners of the organization (direct reports, community partners, volunteers) and utilize consensus building as needed.
- Owning planning/deliverables timelines, event schedules, and promotional/community engagement outreach.
- Supervisory duties including coaching, teambuilding, and performance management of reporting employees.
- Building and maintaining relationships with all department heads, external partners, and vendors to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate:
You are an outgoing creative visionary who is interested in overseeing the storytelling that is threaded through Historic Columbia. You have a passion for and background in museums and/or cultural institutions and a dedication to offering exemplary customer service with collaborating partners. You are meticulous in your organizational skills and meet all deadlines expeditiously. You embrace your role as an inclusive leader and enjoy working together with a team.
Organization Benefits and Perks:
We work hard to embrace diversity and inclusion and encourage everyone at Historic Columbia (HC) to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We offer a variety of growth and professional development opportunities, a welcoming environment, and family-friendly benefits for our team members.
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Medical Insurance
- Retirement Planning
- Competitive Compensation
- Parental Leave
- Support for Community Involvement
- Paid Holidays
Required Education, Experience & Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Must have a minimum five (5) years of professional experience in museums and community outreach. Non-profit experience preferred.
- Must have a minimum three (3) years of leadership experience.
- Demonstrated excellence in engagement and mobilization at the individual, community, and organizational levels.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, with the demonstrated ability to engage and influence others.
- Demonstrated ability to manage an outcomes-based approach
- Evidence of the ability to consistently make strategic decisions through a combination of research, analysis, experience, and sound judgment.
- Strong listening and communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving, organizational skills and the presentation of creative resourcefulness.
- Strong Microsoft Suite skills (including SharePoint, Word, Publisher, Access, PowerPoint, etc.). Experience with Blackbaud’s Altru and Monday.com project management systems a plus.
- Deal with ambiguity by showing agility and action orientation when facing change and uncertainty.
To apply, please send cover letter and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. The posting will remain open until the successful candidate is found.
Historic Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains compliance with all federal, state, and local laws.