The Morris Center for Lowcountry Heritage is hiring a Museum Administrative Associate.
Application deadline: Open until filled
Pay: $15/hour; Average of 30 hours per week
The Museum Administrative Associate plays a key role in providing a high-quality and engaging experience for all museum visitors and guests. This position greets all incoming visitors, assists with special events, and also manages the gift/consignment shop. The Museum Administrative Associate serves an important role by ensuring that the museum is presented at its best, assisting in the facilitation of programs and events, and serving to support the museum staff.
This position contributes to the management of day-to-day operations of the museum by greeting visitors, giving tours, managing the museum shop, scheduling volunteers, facilitating special events, and completing administrative tasks. This is a part-time position that will average approximately 30 hours a week scheduled during the museum’s public hours (Tuesday – Friday, 10 am – 4 pm and Saturday 10 am – 2 pm). Some evening or additional weekend hours may be required for special events.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for museum visitors, manage scheduled volunteers, giving tours, and executing customer purchases.
- Track visitor numbers and demographics; complete daily / weekly financial and visitor reports for the museum and shop. Assist with organizing vendor files and incoming payments.
- Assist with management of the organization’s volunteer program, including recruiting, training, scheduling, evaluating, and annual recognition.
- Help staff with maintaining the museum’s public and internal schedules, facilitating programs, and marketing efforts.
- Perform administrative tasks, such as answering phone calls, manage event rentals, meeting agendas, mailings, ordering supplies, composing correspondence letters, etc.
- Provide excellent customer service serving as an ambassador of the organization; Work collaboratively with museum staff, board, and the public.
- Demonstrate knowledge and good judgment in matters of policy, procedure, communication, and confidentiality
- Assist with opening and closing exhibitions, as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Experience and Skills
- At least 3 years of administration or combined education and internship experience, preferably in a museum or gallery setting.
- Demonstrate a high level of organizational and administrative skills. Have strong communication skills and ability to interact with people from varied backgrounds and nationalities (or ethnicities).
- Ability to establish, maintain and facilitate positive working relationships with Director, staff, volunteers, interns, members of the public, museum members and donors.
- Be able to foresee problems before they occur and conduct creative problem solving with situations as they arise. Flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities is essential.
- Proficient with word processing software, databases and experience with Intuit’s QuickBooks
- Experience with cash handling and/or point-of-sale processing (preferably with BlackBaud’s eTapestry software)
- Excellent customer-service skills and a positive and friendly disposition
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends
The above description and qualifications are not all-inclusive and represent a majority of the key responsibilities of this position. Other duties may be assigned in the course of activities as required to fulfill the directives of the museum. The work environment is primarily in the museum with some outdoor activity. Duties may include some moderate lifting.
Application Process (Please read carefully)
Please send cover letter and resume in either Word or PDF format by e-mail to email@example.com, subject line “Museum Administrative Associate – Your Name.”
No phone calls or walk-ins please.